Frequently Asked Questions
Here you will find a list of questions we are commonly asked. If you have question or a query that falls outside this list please email or call us.
1. What areas of the UK do you cover?
We collect from Herts, London and the surrounding areas.
2. I don’t have the keys to my car, can you still scrap my car?
3. My car is not in working order, can you still remove it?
Yes, we are experienced in moving cars in all sorts of conditions.
4. Does my vehicle need to be complete?
5. Do you remove car shells?
6. Can I get a refund on my unused car tax?
Yes, you will need to complete form V14 (Application for a vehicle licence refund) this can be downloaded from the DVLA website/forms section which you can access by clicking here
7. When should I notify the DVLA?
You should notify the DVLA as soon as we remove your car. You will need to send section 9 which we will stamp with our company details on collection of your vehicle for you to send to the DVLA office.
8. What do you require me to do before the vehicle is collected?
Before collection you will need to remove all personal valuables from the car together with the tax disc if you want to claim a refund from the DVLA.
9. What are your opening hours?
We are available to take your calls anytime.
10. Do you collect on evenings and weekends?
Yes, we will collect at a time that is convienent to you.
11. Do you scrap larger vehicles?
12. Do you donate cars to charity?
Yes, we work closely with the Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue and London Fire and Rescue. The cars are used for essential practice on gaining access to cars in the event of an accident.
13. Do you buy cars?
We buy later vehicles and late salvage.
14. Do you sell vehicle spare parts?
No, we don’t sell any spare parts.
15. Do you provide the DVLA with a (COD) Certificate of destruction?
Yes, we send the Certification of Destruction (CoD) and remainder of the log book to the DVLA to confirm the vehicle has been scrapped in a legal and environmentally friendly way.
16. Why should I do business with you?
We have been in the business of scrapping cars since 1985 so we know how to do it well. We are a friendly, independently owned business that supports our local community and takes pride in providing exceptional service and we do it all for free.
17. How soon can you collect and do I need to be present?
We aim to collect your car within the hour or at a time that is most convenient for you. Yes, you need to be present unless we have made a prior arrangement with you to leave the keys and documents with a neighbour or friend.
18. Are you licensed?
19. Do I need a logbook?
No, we will inform DVLA that your vehicle has been scrapped by Herts Car Disposal.
20. What if I want to keep my number plate?
This is possible however you will need to wait till your application has been approved by the DVLA and you have received your Retention Document V778.
Please fill out the form below to contact us.
Alternatively get in touch via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or any of the phone numbers on the right hand side of this page